Friday 23 May 2014

Driver License & Stuff

I am now the proud holder of a brand new Californian Driving License.

Its actually an interim driving licence, a piece of paper with my name on it that allows me to drive until the real one turns up in the post.

Why did I need a new license? (no - I've not been drunk driving!)

Annoyingly my Swedish/Brittish license was not recognised by the state of California so I had to first take the written exam, and then a 'behind the wheel test'.

Great.

Swedish License

Any fellow Swede reading this blog will remember just how much work goes into getting a driving license in Sweden. I still have nightmares about preparing for the written exam, remembering how to change a tyre and checking the oil, parallel parking, oh god the parrallel parking, reversing the car around street corners without hitting the curb, and not to mention the moose manoeuvre and slippery road course! But worst of all is the half an hour to 45 minute test drive with a moody inspector.

Californian License

Turns out that in California all you need to do is pass a really easy written test. If you somehow manage to fail it, you can simply go to the back of the queue and retake it. As soon as you have your written test in the bag (and you also hold a foreign driving license), you get a temporary license which allows you to drive in California for three months. The temporary license can be renewed, so I did, twice.

Behind the Wheel Test

Then eventually you have to take a 'behind the wheel test'. My test consisted of showing how the indicators work, how to turn on the lights of the car, being able to reverse the car in a straight line and driving around the block. In my case I had to drive twice around the block because the instructor forgot to tell me to turn back into the parking lot!

All they seem look for is whether you stop at stop signs and red lights, indicate before changing lanes or turning, check your blind spot before turning and don't hit any other traffic or pedestrians. They didn't even ask me to go on the motorway.

With so little preparations for the driving test there's no wonder there are so many bad and dangerous drivers on the road here in California. Its a little scary to think about but right now I'm also quite happy that I passed my test on my first attempt!

1 comment:

  1. ☆ Congratulations to your Californian Driver License!!! ♡ Well Done Linda ♡
    Big hug from Mamma & Lasse & Maria
    woof ... from Stina :-)

    ReplyDelete