Friday 15 August 2014

My European Super Tour

Jet Lagged and Sleepy

Nothing beats going to bed when you're really jet lagged. I got home just after 7PM last night, after a terrifying cab ride from the airport (my cab driver decided looking in the rearview mirrors was over rated - better see if the other lanes are free through trial and error technique!).

I was welcomed by a really sleepy Alfie who decided I wasn't allowed back in the house unless I played tug with him first. Then he sniffed my suitcases to see if there were any presents lurking in there (thanks to his buddy Archie he found a toy in there!).

Then Jelte and I ordered Pizzas (gluten free - can pass as paleo food with a little imagination!!) and crashed in the sofa. I managed to keep my eyes open until 9:30 and slept like a brick until 6AM. I'm not a morning person - but waking up early because you're jet lagged is actually quite nice.

Oland Adventures

I spent a lovely couple of days at the north of Oland. The weather was so sunny and lovely and we drove around the island to take in the local sights and wonders. Among other things I saw the troll forest, a ship wreck, raukar, and more antique shops than I can list here.

We also came across a field full of lovely mushrooms and of course we cooked them in butter - so yummy (and very paleo!).
Found shipwreck

Found rock art

Climbed rauks

Took artsy photos

Chilled on the beach

Picked mushrooms

and cooked them

London Visit

After the usual train ride to Kastrup airport, I flew to London to catch up with some friends there. I'm pleased to report that our flat is still standing and looks in good shape - even though Putney looks pretty changed with lots of new shops, a refurbished train station and temporary closed bridge leaving the whole place nearly deserted of traffic.

Couldn't resist a tourist snap flying into London


Archie looking good

Ollie with his new toy


Holland and the Inlaws

Then followed a quick hop over to Amsterdam to see the inlaws and meet our brand new little niece Sara. I had the honour of seeing her first introduction to real food - she tried a spoonful of mashed carrots only to throw up shortly after.

While in Holland I also met up with some friends from the Entlebucher community - and our little niece had her very first introduction to big barky dogs.

It was really great seeing everyone and catching up.
Proud parents and a reluctant baby trying carrots

Learning to 'read'


Heavy baby

Selfie with Sarah and Bella

Paleo tour

Everywhere I went I tried sticking to my Paleo diet as closely as possible - and I think I even managed to convert a couple of people along the way (you know who you are!). I also found out that airport security scanners don't pick up on freezer elements even through they are essentially a bottle of water. Great news for me as it meant I could keep my food cold - not so great news from a security point of view though I guess.

I promised to share some paleo links so here you go:

Blogs

Books:

Swedish Paleo book with great recipes

Carrot patties, sausage and spinach 

Banana and avocado 'yoghurt' with berries and sunflower seeds

Crayfish with salad and beetroots








1 comment:

  1. That sure was a wonderful Tour!!
    So good to catch up, and looking forward to seeing you again soon!!

    ReplyDelete